The geology collection of the University of Seville originates fromthe Natural History Cabinet founded in 1850 by the Mineralogy and Zoology docent Antonio Machado y Núñez (1815-1896). The Cabinet consisted of pieces that later became part of the single collections of zoology, medicine, paleontology, prehistory and of the herbarium. At first, the Cabinet was located in a gallery in thesecond department of the University of Sevillafaculty of Science (nowadays faculty of Fine Arts, in CalleLaraña). After more than one hundred years, in 1957, it moved to the building of the Ancient Tobacco Factory.
The largest part of the mineralogical collection is owed to Machado y Núñez, who added samples coming from abroad, through purchases and exchanges, and also many pieces collected during excursions.
In 1884 the geologist Salvador Calderón y Aranatakes over Machado’s cathedra and carries on enlarging the collection, especially through many excursions organised with the Cabinet students and the Sevillian section of the Spanish Society of Natural History.In the last years of the XIX Century this will be one of the main European museums of its kind and, in the words of the geologist Eduardo Hernández Pacheco, the second most important one in Spain.
Between the 1913 and 1919, under the direction of Francisco de lasBarras de Aragón, many samples are added and some collections are rearranged. The regional mineralogical exhibition of Andalucía is reorganized by Pedro Castro Barea who, between the 1922 and 1936, reshapes the Natural History Cabinet with dedication. He contributes to enrich the funds and creates a collection of Minerals from Riotinto, which is one of the firstmetallogeneticstudies realized in the peninsula. In 1932 the Museum achieves to obtain a curator position.
In 1957 the Geology collection of the Cabinet is transferred to the new Faculty of Sciences, at the second floor of the Ancient Tobacco FactoryBuilding. This marks the dismissal of the Natural History Museum of the University and the destruction of most part of it. With Ramón Coy i Yll, professor of Crystallography, Mineralogy and Mineral Technologies, in the 1978 the collection of the Geology Museum is relocated at the first floor of the Ancient Tobacco Factory, and it’s provided with a curator position (occupied from 1978 to 1995 by Encarnación Carmona Aguilar). During Emilio GalánHuertos’ teachingperiod as Crystallography and Mineralogy docent of the University of Seville Chemistry Section, a new rearrangement is carried out which motivates the publication, in 1993, of the“University of Seville Geology Museum Guidebook: didactic experiences for a tour”.
In 1994 the University transfers the Geology Museum funds to the new Andalusian Centre for Didactic Expositionof Natural Sciences, Naturaland, located in the old Aragon pavilion of Expo ’92. When it closes in 1995, the University collectsthe fundsonce again. After morenot very successful relocations, on February 1998, faced with the risk of damaging the collection, a decision is taken to move it into the Campus Reina Mercedes, and to place it in old laboratories located in the basement of the current TechnicalUniversity School of Computer Engineering, where the collection has remained until 2011.
In 2002 the Updated Inventory of Geology Museum of the University of Seville is published and, thereafter, several expositions take place. After the creation in 2008 of the “Antonio Machado y Núñez Association – Friends of the Geology Museum of the University of Seville”, at the initiative of Miguel Ángel Castro Arroyo, Director of General Services of the University of Seville Research Section (SGI US), and later with Manuel García León and Emilio GalánHuertos, in April 2011 the Geology Museum starts a new journey with the exposition of part of the existing fundsin the CITIUS. Furthermore, about two hundred pieces between minerals, fossils and rocks, all part of the collection, are exposed in the permanent exposition GeoSevilla in the House of Science of CSIC from 2014.